We decided to create this quick guide to answer a common question about breaking in raw denim jeans. One of the most common questions for those looking to buy a pair of raw jeans for the first time is “ How much does raw denim stretch?”
We took measurements from a customer’s jeans after he had worn them for about 2 months and then compared them to the original measurements of the jeans. Here is what we found.
- A. The waistband grew 1/2″ (total circumference)
- B. The hips grew 1 1/4″ (total circumference)
- C. The front rise grew 1/4″
- D. The thigh grew 1/2″ (total circumference)
- E. The knee grew 1/4″ (total circumference)
- F. The leg opening grew 1/8″ (total circumference)
- G. The inseam grew 1/4″
To answer wash and shrinkage questions, earlier experiments of the raw denim jeans in these styles show the shrink rate at 3.5% in width and 2.5% in length.